Severe Macaw – the parrot that swallowed a pipe

This five month old baby parrot had accidentally swallowed a portion of a pipe from inside the syringe, while it was being fed by its owner. It was brought to the Rehabilitation Center by a devotee. The owner of the bird had been misled by a local vet who had assured him that the pipe would get digested inside the stomach of the parrot and would cause no harm.

Severe Macaw (5)

As soon as the bird arrived, Swamiji had the Ashram’s avian veterinarian extract the swallowed pipe through a surgical procedure. The bird was brought after a delay of an an hour and a half to two hours that had elapsed during travel. When the parrot was examined externally, it was found that only a small portion of the pipe remained in the crop and the rest of the pipe had entered its stomach. As a result, the piece of the pipe stuck inside the crop also had to be removed. The parrot was given general anesthesia and the swallowed portion of the pipe was removed in its entirety. As directed by the physician, following the surgery, the parrot was kept in a “brooder’ for maintaining its bodily warmth for its protection. This Bird has recovered and is living in the serene atmosphere of Shuka Vana.

Severe Macaw surgery selected

Severe Macaw (2) rehab

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.